Abdeslam on trial for attacks: ‘I changed my mind when I was in a cafe with a bomb belt’

Terrorism suspect Salah Abdeslam changed his mind in 2015 when he was in a cafe with a bomb belt. He said this yesterday during a trial for Paris attacks in court in the French capital. It was the first time Abdeslam had admitted he intended to blow himself up in a cafe.

The prime suspect and the only surviving suspect in the attacks said he was ordered to detonate his belt at a cafe in the 18th arrondissement, but when he entered, he gave up. “I go into that cafe, order a drink, look at the people around me and say to myself, ‘No, I’m not going to do that,'” he said.

According to the State Attorney’s Office, the bomb belt did not explode due to a technical malfunction.

the right to remain silent

Earlier, 32-year-old Abdeslam exercised his right to remain silent. On Wednesday, he said that he “feels unheard of” and that he will speak now because this was the last time he had that opportunity, writes Le Monde.

Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the organizer of the attack, told Abdeslam to blow himself up. “It was a shock to me. In the end, I accepted,” said Abdeslam, who previously thought he would go to Syria.

Technical malfunction

After changing his mind at the café, Abdeslam spent a few more hours in Paris and the suburbs, after which two friends came to pick him up and drove him to Brussels. He was arrested there in March 2016.

In the attacks of November 13, 2015, terrorists carried out a massacre in which 130 people were killed. Most of the victims were in the Bataclan Concert Hall. The IS terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attacks.

See the retrospective here:

Leave a Comment